Psalm 91 - For Protection Against Enemies

Monday, July 4, 2011


It is common practice within hoodoo to utilize the book of Psalms for various purposes; for protection, health, to reconcile relationships, increase fertility, provide safe travel, and more.  A great number of hoodoo practitioners are Christian, so it should be no surprise that these verses found their way into hoodoo practices.  However, the book of Psalms can be a very powerful tool for all hoodoos.  Its usefulness does not have to be limited to Christian practioners.  To ignore this tool based on Christian symbolism is to limit your own practice, in my opinion.

Still some occult and magical practitioners are hesitant.  Some have asked me, "How do you work with the Saints and the Psalms?  You aren't Christian."  In regards to the Psalms, for me, the answer is simple.  The same way I work with any spell.  Essentially, the Psalms are words like any spell.  Their effectiveness depends on the practitioner and the meaning and energy they put into them.  So, if they are just words, why use them?  Why not use some other, non-Abrahamic, verse?  Well, the amazing thing about the Psalms is that they are words in which millions and millions of people have put energy and meaning into over hundreds of years. They have become, in essence, an extremely powerful egregore.  When you recite the words of Psalm 91 for protection you are activating a powerful thoughtform contructed by the thoughts and prayers of millions and millions of people.     

So, when I am "praying," or reciting, each psalm, the *Lord's* or *Almighty Father's* and so on are not, for my purposes, the Abrahamic God.  For me, I am simply calling on the protective thoughtform, the protective energy attatched to these words.  Again, the words only have meaning if you give them a purpose.  If I recited the same words without purpose, I might was well be reading the newspaper.  You cannot call upon the egegore or energies without willful intent. 

Now, let's look at one way to use the Psalms in our practice, for protection from enemies.

Psalm 91 (KJV)

1He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
 
 2I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
 
 3Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
 
 4He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
 
 5Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
 
 6Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
 
 7A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
 
 8Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
 
 9Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
 
 10There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
 
 11For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
 
 12They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
 
 13Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
 
 14Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
 
 15He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.

 16With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

-------------

A Simple Protection Working:

Materials

Protection Bath Crystals
Psalms 91

Procedure

This is a very simple working, and just one example regarding the use of psalms.  The Psalms can also be used in candle magic, with poppets, with spell bottles, and more. For this working, simply, dissolve the bath crystals in a hot bath.  Then, get into the bath and take a handfull of the ritual bath water and pour it over your head while reciting Psalm 91.  Repeat this process a total of three times.  Each time you pour the water over your head recite the psalm.  Remember that it is important that you recite the psalm with purpose. It is not enough to just say the words.  You must say them with intent, calling upon the energies to protect and shelter you.  Between each pouring take a few moments to think about what it is you want.  Why do you need protection? Is someone causing you problems at work? At home?  What is the nature of the protection you need?  With each pouring envision yourself being covered in the protective energies of both the mixture and the psalm.   

Now you, yourself, are protected.  However, depending on the nature of the danger, additional workings may be needed to protect your home and any others. 

2 comments:

Jennifer Renee said...

Very fascinating Strata!

Strata said...

Thank you Jen! I keep trying to post on your blog when I'm on my phone because I have it on google reader... but it just won't ever let me. >.< I have been meaning to say Kudos for even trying the organic thing. :)

Post a Comment